It’s senior portrait session season! With your photo shoot coming up, here’s everything you need to know for what to expect from your senior portrait session. Senior portrait sessions are my favorite (that’s why I specialize in them!) and I want to make sure that you feel prepared and ready for your shoot. I recommend booking your session at least a month in advance so that you have time to prepare, go shopping, and have the photo shoot of your dreams!
What to Expect from your Senior Portrait Session
Before your Session
- If you’ve booked a Signature or Editorial Senior Portrait session, we’ll meet for your pre-session planning meeting. We’ll talk about what you envision for your senior portrait session – location ideas, clothing ideas, hair and makeup looks, and everything in between so that you can feel super prepared on the day of your photo shoot.
- If you’ve booked an Editorial Senior Portrait session, we’ll also chat about the extra styled concept for your shoot. This is where we can get creative. We can plan a styled set based on your hobbies and activities or anything you envision. Perhaps you play a sport or an instrument – we can incorporate that into the shoot. If you love music and have always envisioned having a photo shoot at the lake, we can make something come to life.
- Once we have met and you have a plan of action, it’s your time to get ready! Start pulling outfits from your closet, go shopping, and pull ideas from my Pinterest boards.
- Save the hair and makeup looks that you like from my Pinterest boards to your phone to show to your makeup artist.
- Be sure to have the right undergarments for your outfits! It’s much easier to wear the right undergarments than try to Photoshop straps out!
- Most clients bring between 4 to 6 outfits – usually a mix of casual and dressy looks – I always recommend having at least one outfit that your parent likes (or even chooses)!
Day of your Photo Shoot
- Be prepared for your hair and makeup appointment! Whether you’re going to the studio or if the makeup artist is coming to your home, make sure you’re ready. Arrive on time.
- Wear a shirt with a large neckhole or a button-down shirt so that it’s easy to change once your hair and makeup is complete.
- Have your outfits – tops, bottoms, dresses, layers, accessories – together on hangers. This makes sure you won’t miss a piece of your outfit.
- After your hair and makeup is complete, we’ll look over your outfits and choose the order that you’ll change into them.
- We will head out to your location and your photo shoot will begin.
- I will guide you through posing (that’s my job!) so don’t worry if you don’t know what to do.
- Relax and have fun!
- Bring extra lip gloss for touch ups.
- When your shoot is over, it’s the perfect time to go to dinner!
After your Session
- About two weeks after your photo shoot, we’ll have your Session Premiere. This is the time that I come over to your home to show you all your photo shoot images.
- You’ll get to watch a slideshow of your photos set to music and then you’ll get to go back through the collection of images to choose your favorites.
- The Session Premiere is your opportunity to choose all of your favorites and decide how you want to display your photos, whether that is an album, prints, or wall portraits. Digital files on USB are also available.
- Once you have selected your favorites, we’ll design the products that are included in the collection you have selected or a la carte products.
- Payment will be collected for your package or a la carte products you have chosen.
- About three weeks after your Session Premiere, your custom products will be delivered!
Senior portrait sessions are so much fun and when you know what to expect it’s even easier to breathe easy and have a good time. I hope this post helped you!
If you have any questions regarding your senior portrait session or to book your photo shoot, click here!