Ten weeks into 2016 and this one is an interesting list! The things you should ignore. When I saw the prompt for this list, I wasn’t quite sure what to think. What should I ignore? Are there things that I should be ignoring in life? You know what, there are. This list might sound a little bit negative, but if you think about it, these are all things that you should eliminate from your life. Things that you don’t need in your life. Trade these types of things for better ones.
List 10: The things you should ignore
- Nobody is perfect. Chasing perfect is a losing battle. So ignore perfection. Instead, focus on making progress towards what you want in life. You’ll never achieve perfection…and even if you think you do, it still won’t be what you’re expecting.
- That nagging feeling of “what will other people think?”
- Oh this one is hard! I still struggle with this one, friends. The thought of “What will other people think of me?” is a tough one to combat. However, remember this: you don’t know what other people are thinking and most likely, they aren’t focused on what you’re doing. They are probably just as worried about what you may be thinking of them. So don’t worry about it…ignore those thoughts!
- Something that is popular just for the moment
- If you look back every ten years and look at fashion trends and see how they change and evolve…don’t get hung up on what’s popular for the moment. In a few years you’ll look back thinking, “Man, what was I even thinking!”
- People who don’t support you
- This is a big one. If you have “friends” but they don’t support you and instead tear you down…you need some new friends because those people? They are not your friends. You need to kindly escort them out of your life, they are not worth your time trying to convince to be on your side.
- What everyone else is doing if it seems “off” to you
- You know that saying about jumping off a bridge? If there’s something that everyone else is doing, it doesn’t mean that you should be doing it too. Especially if you feel like it’s not right for you. Go with your gut and ignore what everyone else is into.
- What you don’t have and focus on what you do have
- This is so hard in today’s social media driven world where everyone lives their lives in highlight reels. Everyone looks like they have this amazing life and you look to your own and compare what you don’t have…it’s a vicious cycle and not worth your time! Instead, shift your focus to gratitude and be thankful for all that you do have in your life. You may find that there are other people who are looking to you for what you have and they don’t. You don’t know someone else’s struggle, until you do.
- Toxic people
- Toxic people are miserable to be around. Even when you try to reach out to them and try and be friendly, they still suck the life out of you. They are as the moniker suggests, toxic. No matter what you do, you can’t get through to them. Once you realize this about them, it’s best to let them go. It’s best to ignore them.